From the desk of Lauren Palmer
Today I’m excited to share with you some incredible makeup tips I learned from my new best friend, Daniel Blaylock. And when I say “Daniel Blaylock” I mean THE Daniel Blaylock, celebrity makeup artist from Fuller House, Real Housewives of Dallas, editorial content galore, and more! And when I say “new best friend” I mean I sat in his makeup chair for about 2 hours. Also I texted him twice.
Earlier this year, the lovely Erin Blair Gobin texted me regarding a Masterclass Daniel was teaching to her team. (Background: Erin owns Erin Blair Makeup and Hair Design. Her team dominates the hair and makeup scene for weddings, special events, and the like. Or if you’re like me, you just stop by her house so she can fix the mess you make of your fake eyelashes or ask her to paint your (and your husband’s) face to look like a “Dia de los Muertos” skeleton for Halloween.)
Erin asked me to attend the Masterclass sans makeup for Daniel to demonstrate on. I said yes, duh. And we all gathered at Gather in Downtown McKinney, just downstairs from Erin’s studio. Here is me that morning sans makeup. (Not sure why I look so mad.)
Daniel taught the team his trademarked “Dallifornia” look: A combination of Dallas glam with effortless California chic. I wish I had had somewhere fabulous to go after my makeup session with Daniel, but sadly I headed home, to the fridge, and then to pick up the boys from school. To understand the true intricacies and artistry of how Daniel (and now Erin’s team) creates the incredible eye looks, one really would need to be present at one of his Masterclasses; that, or just have him or Erin do it for you. However, below are some incredible tips I learned from Daniel that every single one of us can and should use every single day! Everything except 2 products can be found at Nordstrom (which is y’all’s number one place to shop according to the survey I took last fall.) I linked everything to the post.
- Although he technically started with my eyes, Daniel mentioned that when he has someone in the chair, he always treats them with a lip mask first thing in order to begin hydration. He uses both Bite Agave Lip Mask and Hourglass Lip Oil. When I got home, I ordered both, and found that I like the Bite a little bit better. I keep it by my bed and put it on before I sleep. When I was a teenager I took an acne medication that gave me chronically dry lips from that point on. My lips always peel. Always. I began using the Bite lip mask after my session with Daniel, and have not had a problem with dry lips since. Seriously. Daniel and Bite healed my chronically dry lips that have plagued me for over 20 years. It is very thick which is why I put it on at night, and comes in several colors, but I purchased clear. Truly a game changer. |You can purchase the Bite Agave Lip Mask HERE and the Hourlgass Lip Oil HERE|
- A nude lip is really the signature of Daniel’s Trademarked “Dallifornia” look, plus, “Really bold lips are difficult to maintain throughout a night,” he told us. A soft, natural looking lip looks good on everyone, and his favorite go-to nude combo are both by Charlotte Tilbury: Kim KW lipstick with Pillow Talk liner. I actually already had the Pillow Talk liner (which is absolutely beautiful BTW) but ordered the Kim KW, which is a little bit more pink than the nude I already had—which I like because it gives a “healthier” look to the nude lip. Truly a beautiful combination! |You can purchase the LINER and LIPSTICK. |
3.) HOW TO PROPERLY LINE LIPS (This will change your life)
- When lining your lips, be consistent in which direction you are lining on both sides of the mouth. In other words, don’t go from corner to center on one side, and then from center to corner on the other side or else it will make an asymmetrical line due to the difference of movement. How many of you have dealt with this exact problem!!?? I have struggled for years getting my lip liner even, and now I know why!! Changing up the path of your pencil changes the slant of the line. Now I know to stay consistent. Daniel also mentioned if long strokes are difficult to keep even, make shorter ones and connect them.
4.) Contour vs Bronzer
- “CONTOUR is the art of creating shadow vs. BRONZER is the art of creating warmth,” Daniel explained. I absolutely love this description because the words shadow and warmth give us a visual. His recommendation for contour is a palette by Tarte called Park Avenue Princess which has an array of tones that work for everyone. Daniel also warned the group never to contour the top of the nose. Leave it empty, and softly add contour to the edges of the nostrils. Otherwise, it can have the opposite affect of what we are intending: to slim.
- When it comes to BRONZER, the Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Finish Powder makes the perfect semi-matte powder Bronzer. Just use a shade darker than your natural skin tone. This is something I could already attest to because I’ve been using the C.T. Flawless Finish Powder for about 6 months and absolutely LOVE IT! When they say “flawless finish” they aren’t kidding. There are 3 shades, and I use #2 for all over. My skin looks so beautiful when I use it, so I was thrilled to grab the darker shade (#3) to use as my BRONZER.
- |You can purchase the Tarte Park Avenue Princess Palette HERE and the Charlotte Tilbury Flawless Finish Powder HERE.|
- I have never found a concealer that I absolutely swear by, so I was curious to learn what Daniel’s go-to concealer is. His favorite is Clé de Peau Beauté Radiant Corrector for Eyes. It has a small brush that distributes the product which brightens the area where it’s applied. I also like that it is “buildable.” The formula is made to layer which helps not to look “cakey.” Of all the products I’ve mentioned today, this concealer is the only one I haven’t purchased (YET) because I was trying to use up my old concealer. But I can attest, that the day Daniel did my makeup, my under eye area looked flawless! FLAWLESS. This is DEFINITELY on the list to try next.
- |You can purchase the Clé de Peau Beauté Radiant Corrector for Eyes HERE.|
So that’s it! Those are 5 tips I learned from the renowned Daniel Blaylock one morning on the McKinney Square. Be sure to find both Daniel and Erin on social media, and reach out when you need a lesson or your makeup done for a special event. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your special day, Erin; and thank you Daniel for your kindness and allowing me to share your artistry with The Art of Living Beautifully! And for being my best friend, of course.
“Active in the beauty industry for over 13 years, I have had the honor of working alongside some of the best artists, celebrities, photographers, stylists, and talent in the industry. My truest passion, however, lies in creating personal experiences that will ELEVATE your spirit, EMBRACE your soul, and EMPOWER you to be and see the ultimate YOU.” -Daniel Blaylock
(PS. I freaking love his mission.)
To learn more about Lauren and The Art of Living Beautifully, please visit our ‘about’ page.